Azo dyes in textile and leather for office chair and sofa
Fabric and leather materials, which may come into direct and prolonged contact with human skin or oral cavity, are prohibited from using azo dyes, which are capable of decomposing into one or more aromatic amines (22 amines referenced in the standard), which have levels present in excess of 30 mg/kg.
- Prolonged skin contact is defined by the EC Commission as discontinuous contact of 1 hour per day or continuous contact of 30 minutes.
- Compositing up to 3 materials is allowed - follow method composite guideline
- Liquid/liquid screening test is conducted first, then composite testing for column confirmation is performed when amines detected between 5-100 mg/kg. If amines detected between 5-30 mg/kg in a composite analysis, individual testing by column method is required.
- For components with less than 0.2 g in a finished product, analysis is omitted.
- For department 27’s outdoor patio seating / umbrellas, please follow the flow chart attached at the bottom of the protocol. If complete report is submitted, perform document review only. See SI for instruction on acceptable third party lab reports.